UGC NET is one of the prestigious examinations, which is held every year for candidates who are looking forward to becoming professors or researchers. If you are planning to appear for this examination must have a clear idea of everything, be it exam pattern or the syllabus. This year, the examination will be held on 20 November. Hence, it is extremely important to prepare everything in advance.
UGC NET exam mostly consists of two papers, Paper 1 and Paper 2. To clear the first paper, candidates have to prepare to keep in mind the general UGC NET syllabus. The topics covered in the first paper include teaching as well as research capabilities. Overall, there are almost 81 subjects available for the second paper. When appearing for the examination, you have to clear both papers in a single attempt.
NTA or National Training Agency conducts this examination twice a year. UGC every year decides about the syllabus for those who want to appear for the examination. With the UGC NET exam syllabus, you can plan effective strategies to clear the examination.
UGC NET Syllabus for Paper 1
It is important to understand that Paper 1 is compulsory for every candidate. This paper has 50 questions of hundred marks. The first paper’s syllabus contains 10 units. Almost five questions are asked from every unit. Here is a detailed breakup of the syllabus for the first paper.
Unit-1 Teaching Aptitude Syllabus
- Teaching- Objectives, concept, basic requirements, concept, characteristics.
- Aspects affecting teaching connected to teaching- Support material, learning environment, learner, instructional facilities, and institution.
- Characteristics of a learner- Characteristics of the adult and adolescent learners as well as individual differences.
- Support system for teaching- ICT-based, traditional as well as modern.
- Teaching methods in Higher Study Institutions- Offline vs. online methods, teacher-centered vs. learner-centered methods.
- Evaluation methods- Evaluation types, innovation in evaluation systems, computer-based testing, elements as well as types of evaluation.
Unit-2 Research Aptitude Syllabus
- Research- Types, characteristics, meaning, positivism as well as post positivistic research approach.
- Research methods- Historical, qualitative and quantitative methods, research steps, experimental as well as historical.
- Article writing as well as a thesis- ICT application for research, styles, and format of research, and research ethics.
- In this section, a passage is given to the candidates for solving.
- Candidates have to solve questions from this section
- Communication- The meaning of communication, characteristics of communication, as well as types.
- Effective communication- Verbal as well as nonverbal communication, classroom communications, mass media as well as society, and inter-cultural communication.
Unit-5 Mathematical reasoning as well as aptitude
- Reasoning types- Number series, codes, relationships, and letter series.
- Mathematical aptitude- Time and distance, ratio and proportion, profit and loss, averages, interest and discounting, fraction.
- Understanding argument structure- Argument forms, mood, and figure, connotations and denotations, the classical square of opposition, inductive reasoning, mood and figure, analogies.
- Venn Diagram- Multiple uses to establish the validity of arguments.
- Indian Logic- Pramanas- Pratyaksha (Perception), Anumana (Interference), Shabda (Verbal testimony), etc.
Unit-7 Data Interpretation
- Acquisition, data classification, and acquisition.
- Graphical representation (table-chart, pie-chart, histograms, and line-chart)
- Data mapping, data interpretation, etc.
Unit-8 Information as well as communication
Here you will get general abbreviations as well as terminology, intranet, e-mail, audio as well as video conferencing, ICT, and Governance.
Unit-9 People, development, as well as the environment
- Development and environment- Sustainable development goals and millennium development.
- Human as well as environment interactions- Anthropogenic activities along with the effects on the environment.
- Environmental problems- Regional as well as global issues, soil pollution, noise pollution, air pollution, climate change, and impact of pollutants on humans.
- Natural and energy resources- Biomass, forests, geothermal, nuclear, forests, etc.
Unit-10 High education system
- Professional, skill-based education, etc.
- Value education as well as environmental education.
- Oriental, conventional, as well as non-conventional learning programs, are available in India.
The subject for the second paper can be chosen by the candidate. You will get a hundred questions in the second paper. Besides, it is important to have a preparation strategy so that it becomes easy to clear the exam.
Best Way to clear the UGC NET exam on the single attempt?
Clearing the NET examination can be difficult. Here are some of the strategies that you can follow to clear the examination in one go.
- A detailed list of the topics
When preparing for the examination, it is best to take references from the reference books, mock tests as well as practice papers available at BYJU’s Exam Prep. Also, do not forget to make a list of the vital topics or the vital questions from the syllabus topics.
- Follow a strategy
A study strategy is essential if you want to clear the UGC NET. Divide the topics into strong, medium, and weak. As a result, you will be able to get a proper direction for your exam preparation. Make sure to first prioritize the weak topics, followed by the medium ones and then the strong ones.
Therefore, this is the detailed information on the UGC NET syllabus along with the preparation tips and strategies. Following these will no doubt help you to clear the examination on the first attempt.